Since 1986, Attorney Philip M. Johnstone has been implementing innovative and sophisticated gift, trust, and estate planning solutions to preserve client wealth and business enterprises for future generations. Mr. Johnstone takes a mindful approach to his work, believing in careful draftsmanship and in tailoring each planning solution to the unique circumstances and desires of the particular client.
Mr. Johnstone grew up in Stonington Borough, where he and his family currently reside, and where his ancestors first settled in the 1920s. Mr.Johnstone joined the firm as a partner in 1997. He graduated from Duke and Penn Law School, then practiced in the areas of wills, trusts, estates, corporate and real estate transactions law, eventually concentrating in gift, estate and trust planning and administration.
Mr. Johnstone has a long track record of community and Board service.He currently serves as Corporate Secretary and on the Board of Directors of his family’s international business J Boats, Inc. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the Stonington Historical Society, Pine Point School,and Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center, as well as on the Board of Governors of The Wadawanuck Club. In 1992, he was presented with the United Way Gold Award for outstanding service to the community. Mr. Johnstone has formed and advised many local nonprofit organizations on a pro bono basis, and continues to do so.
Mr. Johnstone enjoys golf and tennis, and is a lifelong sailor.
- Estate, Trust & Gift Planning
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Trustee & Executor Representation
- Wills & Probate
- Real Estate transactions
- Business Law
- Estate & Tax Planning Council of Eastern Connecticut
- Professional Advisory Board of The Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut
- Board of Trustees/Governors/Directors:
- Stonington Historical Society (2006-08)
- Pine Point School (1999-2003)
- Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center (1998-2001)
- The Wadawanuck Club, Inc.
- J Boats, Inc. (1987-present)
- Member, Mystic Rotary Club (1998-2004)
- Duke University (B.A. magna cum laude)
- University of Pennsylvania (J.D.)
- U.S. District Court For the District of Connecticut
- Rhode Island